Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Coloring in Ivy and the Inky Butterfly

Good morning everyone!

I am back with another coloring post. I have decided to continue working on my Fanciful Fox coloring page this weekend so I can work by daylight. The subtle differences in shading are harder to pick up in the artificial light, especially with the standard Crayola Colored Pencils because my layers are so light. Unfortunately we are at that time of year where I am lucky to catch 1/2 hour of daylight during the work week. =( No worries though! I have my bright colorful crafts to keep me sunny during this dark season.

So now on to what I have been working on. 'Ivy and the Inky Butterfly' by Johanna Basford is the second coloring book I purchased at Michael's last weekend. It was a bit more pricey than the Fanciful Fox coloring book at about $17. However it is a gorgeous story and coloring book that is well worth the price paid.

The reason why I chose to work in this book was because the pages are full of individual little details to color. This means I can color little bits in between my busy work week without getting into a major coloring area and having to stop and start again often. This means I can color on breaks at work and in between cooking, cleaning and taking care of the baby at home.

Some of the areas are so small that I decided to use gel pens in these areas instead of colored pencils. I plan on using my Crayola Artist Series Colored Pencils in this book as well for areas that are larger. Even though there are a lot of really small details, the background spaces are quite large on many of the pages. I will probably be using an acrylic wash for these. I would like to try watercolor as well but I currently do not own any watercolor paint.

Anyway on to the eye candy:


Here is the book. I apologize for the poor lighting. I took these in the morning before work by lamplight. =)


This is the only page I've started using colored pencil on. I love the Crayola Artist pencils! They blend really well.


Here is a close up of some of the strawberries.



Prior to using the colored pencils, I chose a sparkly yellow gel pen and flipped through the entire book. I colored every small star I could find.


This is one of the first pages. It is so detailed that I picked through and colored all the small stuff in gel pen first. It is ready for colored pencil now.



The story is about a young girl following a butterfly into a magical world. In the first half of the story the butterfly has knocked into some ink and is leaving a trail for the girl to follow in ink. Similar to the stars, I colored every inky butterfly spot within the book in a dark blue gel pen.

I had hoped to post this much earlier in the week, but realized my first pictures weren't so good. However, I have not had time in the daylight to take better pictures, so I decided to post them for now. I have made much more progress on the strawberry page I would love to share as well, but it will have to wait until the weekend.

Coming up...

Last weekend I ordered a hard to find coloring book off of Etsy from a wonderful Croatian artist Tomislav Tomic. I have been anxiously awaiting it's arrival, which should be tomorrow! I will do a photo flip through.

In the background I have been slowly (very slowly, lol) working on the Thomas Kinkade Disney Dreams Cinderella cross stitch. I will post some progress pics on this. These wont be posted as often as it takes awhile to see any real progress.

Lastly, I have also been doing some piecework free style embroidery that I am hoping to turn into a gypsy quilt. The fabrics are bright, colorful and patterned. I am using quite a bit of lace and vintage embroidery patterns.

Until next time...stay warm!

No comments: