Monday, April 30, 2012

Pattern Enhancments Via Embroidery

Hey everyone! The following technique I found over on feeling stitchy (It's been awhile so if I'm wrong please correct me), I believe in August last year, where you embroider on top of an existing fabric pattern to enhance the pattern. I bought this piece of fabric at the Lowell Quilt Festival last year with this technique in mind. In fact I believe I posted on oi when I started this piece. Well I have now dug it out to work on. The first pictures are of what I just did and the last pictures show how I started.  





In the picture above I was practicing french knots in purple thread. I don't think I'm doing it right because they keep coming out like mini-bullion knots. Think I will pop on over to Sharon B's Stitch Dictionary http://inaminuteago.com/stitchindex.html to reaquaint myself with the stitch.



This is the first section. It's mostly back stitch and padded satin stitch. Although there is some detached chain stitch in green in the picture underneath.



The dark blue is two lines of backstitch with satin stitch in the center.


Overall I am enjoying the technique. It is like doodling with thread! http://www.feelingstitchy.com/2011/08/august-stitch-along.html Look I stopped being lazy and did my research. This is the link to the August stitch-a-long on feeling stitchy featuring the technique. Check it out to see my inspiration.

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

All of your results turned out beautifully! Thanks for your kind comment on my blog.