Sunday, April 29, 2012

Thread Dying

I have been playing around with crochet a little. I only have one color thread whick is a pretty blue/green/purple variated thread. However after many flowers (a little tease about a future post) I really wanted a new color. My husband groaned at the thought of me splurging on new thread. C'mon thread can be so decieving due to it being really inexpensive. You think I can grab a few and not spend alot. Then the fever sets in when you see all the colors and end upgabbing more than a few. Haha, I'm horrible, but whats really horrible is how quickly this inexpensive item adds up at the register. The last time I went for thread, I spent close to $30. I'm proud of myself today. I saved money by buying a giant amount of white thread and dying it using left over Easter egg dye. Observe the results:



The first were really vibrant. I used about a teaspoon of vinegar in each dye.


The "yellow thread here is actually light green. I changed the dye colors by diluting the mixture with more water.
Isn't the blue/green pretty?


Apparently pink and green make a strange orange but it's kinda neat.




I kept trying to get a pale pink and didn't get a satisfying effect until here after I diluted the mixture a second time.






Living in a small apartment, I had to improvise to hang my threads to dry overnight. I actually hung a temporary line in my shower. Whatever works right? I can't wait to see what they look like all dried. I'm a little nervous because last time I used Easter egg dye thr green dripped out and wasn't really there when dried. Well I guess I'll know tomorrow. Happy stitching!

No comments: